282 BYZANTINE CHURCHES CHAP. coaquest of England. What is certain is that in the seventeenth century the chapel was dedicated to the Theotokos. Du Gauge mentions it under the name, Ecclesia Deiparae Serai Bogdaniae.1 Mordtmann has proved2 that Bogdan Serai marks the site of the celebrated monastery and church of S. John the Baptist in Petra5—the title c in Petra' being derived from the neighbouring mass of rock, which the Byzantines knew as IlaXaia Tlerpa^ and which the Turks style Kesme Kaya, the Chopped Rock. According to a member of the monastery, who flourished in the eleventh century, the House was founded by a monk named Bara in the reign of Anastasius L (491-518) near an old half-ruined chapel dedicated to S. John the Baptist, in what was then a lonely quarter of the city, between the Gate of S. Romanus (Top Kapoussi) and Blachernae. The monastery becomes conspicuous in the narratives of the Russian pilgrims to the shrines of the city, under the designation, the monastery of S. John, Rich-in-God, because the institution was unendowed and dependent upon the freewill offerings of the faithful, which c by the grace of God and the care and prayers of John' were generous. Thrice a year, on the festivals of the Baptist and at Easter, the public was admitted to the monastery and hospitably entertained. It seems to have suffered during the Latin occupation, for it is described in the reign of Andronicus II. as standing abandoned in a vineyard. But it was restored, and attracted visitors by the beauty of its mosaics aiid the sanctity of its relics.8 In 1381 a patriarchal decision conferred upon the abbot the titles of archimandrite and protosyngellos, and gave him the third place in the order of precedence among the chiefs of the monasteries of the city, 'that thus the outward honours of the house might reflect the virtue and 1 Constant. Christ, iv. p, 162. 2 See Archaeological Supplement to the Proceedings of the Greek Syllogos ofC.P. vol. xviii. p. 8. 3 Ruy Gonzalez de Clavijo in 1403, Vtda de Gran Tamorlany ttinerario, p. 50 (Madrid, 1782): *San Juan del a Piedra esta cerca del palacio del Emperador" (i.e. near the palace of Blachernae).